Saturday, March 12, 2011

Community Garden

    Because I live in a rowhouse with no greenspace, I decided to sign up for a community garden plot near my house. So, now I have 200 sq. feet of dirt and have to decide what to do with it! This should be easy enough, although I do not have much gardening experience, I am completley compitent, so I do not have many worries.
    My goal is to shave some money off the grocery bill this summer. As a mother and student, bills are the pitfall of my current existence, so saving money is always a benefit! Now I just need to get out there and dig in. My kids enjoyed container gardening last summer, so I think this is a going to be a great way to get them involved. Kids today think food is born on the shelves in the grocery store it seems like. Seeing their food started, grown, harvested, and then cooked or eaten fresh is a good way to start early healthy eating habits and health comprehention. Plus, since my son struggles with anxiety and ADHD and SPD, he seems to be more at peace  in nature I have noticed. Giving him jobs in the garden to do will be somewhat theraputic for him I think. It also will help with our homework for sensory stimulation from the OT.
   
Now comes the fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment