Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Healthy Lunches for Sensory Kids and the daily dilemma!

    My son has Sensory Processing Disorder, which makes his senses work on overdrive! Moms of picky eaters always have a hard time in the area of nutrition and happiness (for child and parent). So when a child has SPD, it is 10x as hard. He can only tolerate certain tastes, textures, temperatures, smells... you get it. So he refuses to eat school lunch. Which is okay with me after having seen the mush they are pushing down their throats. But, it is a tad complicated when it comes to sending him to school with lunch. My daughter is happy with carrot sticks, sandwich, string cheese, and some grapes. My son, unfortunately is not!
    We are also undergoing oral therapy with his Occupational Therapist (OT). So he is getting braver about accepting new "ideas" with food, finally. Most days he prefers warm food, especially when it is cool outside. But, being as it I have to be out the house by 6am, warm lunch is not the easiest to pull off. And to top it off, the kid hates bread, peanut butter, most lunch meats, and mayonnaise. I know.... ? So we go round and round with weekly lunch experiments, some he likes, and some he drops off after school to announce he will never again accept such a lunch. He is 6, he likes to express his independence. :]
    The problem arises though, that he returns home from school starving some days. So, I am still working on mastering his daily food dilemma. Luckily, I have the next 3 months with no morning classes! Which means his mom can make sure he gets a warm lunch like he prefers. But, when I started planning for lunches after spring break I thought about the other dilemma here. His poor fine motor skills. This makes it so he is unable to open tuperware containers and when he tries triggers frustration and anxiety (separate disorder) and results in a meltdown.
    So, after scour websites I found a great option with good reviews! The cost is a little pricey in my opinion, but apparently they hold up for quite sometime. Laptop Lunches. For anyone interested here is a link: http://www.amazon.com/Laptop-Lunch-Bento-System-Berry/dp/B002QEB836/ref=pd_sbs_k_4

    They are bento style, durable, come in an insulated carrier, and are easy to open for little fingers.Totally what we need because everything has a separate compartment. He will not eat food if it touches. And, it is earth ffriendly, so we can do away with the sandwich bags. I like this! I recommend this to any parent who has a picky eater, or more extreme. :]

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to invite you to Voices of Sensory Processing Disorder. This is a community website where bloggers can share their experiences, victories, tips and everyday challenges with others. And we want you! We’d love to share your writing.

    Please visit us at www.voicesofsensoryprocessingdisorder.com to learn more. I do hope you'll join us. Happy blogging!
    Regards, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete