Friday, March 11, 2011

Spring Fever!

    Here in Oregon the winters can feel incredibly long for someone who craves sunshine. By the time the sun begins to poke its head from around the clouds in early March and the first signs of life pop back up through the dirt with budding daffodils I begin to get anxious for spring! I do not think I am alone in this feeling either, considering the cat pulls herself from hibernation and stretches those legs out for a catnap in the window and the kids point out the sun when they open their eyes to get ready for school at 6am.
    This week has offered us a little sun almost everyday, and considering we are reaching out of the usual low 40's into the mid 50's it feels like spring too. So I took some time from finals this week and was inspired to do a little spring cleaning.
    Whenever I start cleaning I am always careful about what I spray and where because my son has asthma and reactive airway disease. Long nights in hospital beds with breathing machines leaves mom a little cautious of what he might react to. So, I try and clean with organic products. But in recent news I have come across alot of speculations that those those all natural cleaning products are hardly as good for you or your home as you are led to believe. So this sent me on a hunt for the old classics. And I was happy to find some great ideas.
    Here are some Green Cleaning ideas that I implemented:

- All Purpose Cleaner: Pour 1/2 cup baking soda into a bowl. Add just enough liquid soap to make a creamy paste. Spread mixture on the flat side of 1/2 of a lemon and scrub. The lemon acts as a sponge and leaves a natural citrus scent. Use a damp rag or sponge to wipe away any residue. You'll find the paste will stay moist for a few hours
-  Mold removing: Now before you think I have a fungus filled house, this was used to clean the windowsills after I washed the windows. I also used this as a tub, tile and toilet cleaner as well, obviously.
Vinegar is a great all-purpose cleaner; use it straight for tough jobs, or dilute it with water. Tea-tree oil is a natural fungicide and can help disinfect surfaces -- mix 2 teaspoons with 2 cups water. To whiten stained tiles or grout, use a mixture of 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide to 1 cup water.All of these solutions can be sprayed onto a surface, allowed to dry, then wiped with a damp cloth.
- Carpet Stain Remover: It's not Resolve, but if you are looking for a more natural alternative here it is.
Pour a small amount of soda water onto a fresh carpet spill, and blot with a towel. Don't rub, as you may mat the fibers. If the stain is set, try hydrogen peroxide: Pour some onto a clean, white cloth, then press cloth to carpet. Wait about 15 minutes, blot with a clean cloth. There should be no need to rinse.
- Window Cleaner: There is a trick here! Using commercial window cleaners for years leaves your glass with an invisible film. To get rid of any residue, add a dab of a vegetable-based dish soap or liquid castile soap to 1/4 cup of white distilled vinegar and 1 cup of water in a clean spray bottle. For follow-up cleanings, all you will need are the vinegar and water.
- Clogged Drain: Pour 1 cup of baking soda down the drain, followed by 3 cups of boiling water, and let science take over. It's a much safer choice than commercial drain cleaners, which can harm skin, eyes, lungs, and the water supply.
- Removing the vinegar smell from the vinegar: Add a few drops of an essential oil such as lavender to 1/4 cup of white distilled vinegar. That will help lessen the smell.
- Dishwashing liquid:  For greasy pots and pans: Try scouring with salt. For burned saucepans: Fill the pan half full with water, spoon in baking soda, let it soak overnight, and bring to a boil
    What I realized as I cleaned with these more natural cleaning substances was that these were more cost efficient (who doesn't love that) AND my great grandmother used to say that baking soda and vinegar were kitchen staples. I laugh now because I had to actually go and purchase both to clean, but I see why she believed this. So from now on, I will be sticking to the minimalist amount of chemicals as possible.
    So, as spring breathes life into my spirit and stimulates the mind and body to clean the windows and de-clutter the kitchen junk drawer, and clear out the closets I am able to feel good that I am doing this in a back to basics kinda way.

No comments:

Post a Comment