Thursday, March 10, 2011

Leading By Example

  Yesturday marked the 1st day of Lent. While I am a Latina I do not consider myself a traditionalist in the least bit. But, I do believe in spirituality and find myself at peace with Unitarian views, a little East and a little West. Freedom of incorporating knowledge from all around the world (or so I choose to believe).
    In any case Lent is always an interesting time of year for me. It symbolizes the new year, spring, the new season ahead, and a time to refresh and challenge oneself. So, this year as I read about all the interesting things my friends and family were doing for Lent, I decided to wear my tie dye panties and go wild! Well, figuratively speaking anyways. Being as I am making a valid attempt at a healthier lifestyle I thought I would take the opportunity to really challenge myself this year and give up meat for Lent. I am not an avid fan of the inhumane treatment of animals as is, and I was a vegetarian for a year or two as a teenager, so I thought what the heck! It gives me a chance to explain what Lent really is about to the kids and also what the idea of a vegetarian is, what it means, why it is important to people... At minimum, a chance to help widen my little ones eyes to a greater knowledge and understanding of the world aside from their own viewpoints. We all might be able to do a little more of that as adults I think.
    So Day Two, and no meat. I actually had to take an hour and scour some healthy cooking websites for some vegetarian recipes this morning, so that I do not end up eating the same old thing each night. Found some good ideas, and if they turn out tasty I will post them.

No comments:

Post a Comment